Her main body of research and clinical work has focused on Peruvian Amazonian Vegetalismo practices, particularly on the effects of song (icaros) and plant diets on healing processes, as well as on the integration of experiences with plant medicines in ordinary life.
She teaches courses on entheogenic shamanism and research at the California Institute of Integral Studies, co-leads groups into the Amazon rainforest, and holds a private practice in Berkeley, CA.
In this episode, Susana will share with us:
- [16:05] What Icaros mean and what they are truly about.
- [24:25] The phenomena of centers in Peru that incorporate Hindu, Buddhist and African music in their songs.
- [30:25] The function of Icaros and Arcana in Ayahuasca ceremonies and other plant medicine rituals.
- [35:53] How to make a person fall in love with you using a magical Icaro from Peru
- [40:00] How people learn Icaros and the experience of receiving a song from a plant.
- and much, much more!
Mentioned in this episode:
- Juan Salazar in Mayantuyacu
- Stan Grof and holotropic breathwork
- Don Solón Tello Lozano
- Abrete Corazon
- Luis Eduardo Luna
- Santo Daime Church
- Tucano people
Where to find Susana:
Medicine music for the soul
Deepest gratitude to these artists, for allowing us to use their music in our podcast branding.
- Birds of Paradise
- Desert Dwellers
- The Human Experience
- Ixchel Prisma
- Phuture Primitive
- Shaman’s Dream
To know more about these artists, visit our Gratitude page.